Friday, May 6, 2016

Perfection versus Excellence

Perfection or excellence?
It's a fine line.


Anyone who has struggled with perfectionism will understand.
I face the same struggle.


One of these leaves room for mistakes to happen.
And one does not.


"Make no mistakes" is a heavy burden to bear.  I wish that burden on no one.


When I was young, I was told constantly, "You could be a straight A student, if you only tried."
I didn't try.  I had a dismal GPA in my youth.


After experiencing the real world for a while, I decided I was finally ready for college.  And, for the first time in my life, I carried a 4.0 GPA.
I had a professor who I suspect adjusted my grade up from a B to an A after acing my final. (I had failed my first test, but the material was cumulative, so I obviously had learned it.)  And while I understand logic, I'm thinking it may not have done me any favors.
My identity became wrapped up in that GPA.  And when I got my first B in a tough chemistry class, I cried.  Literally.


Who cries over a B??






I will NOT strive for perfection in my health habits.
I aim for excellence.
Excellence allows for birthday cake and cocktails.
Excellence allows for rest when I am ill.
Excellence allows for substitution when I am on the road. (Yoga is much easier in a hotel room than weight lifting!!)


The danger of perfection is the disappointment when a day gets missed...
"I couldn't fit my workout in today.  Why do I even bother?"
"I ate those cookies... I should have had celery instead.  I'm obviously not cut out for this healthy nonsense..."
Trust me. As someone who also struggles with ADD, I understand how those words and thoughts get stuck - spinning through the brain over and over and over again.
But they are lies!
Wicked lies!


Excellence offers the opportunity to improve tomorrow.
Excellence recognizes how much I have already accomplished.


What has excellence done for you lately?
I still left the ring smiling, after this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for exclusive content!