Thursday, April 28, 2016

Hard Cooked Eggs - Baked, not Boiled!

Have you searched for years to find the perfect technique to hard boil your eggs?
I have.


I've used egg prickers, egg timers, and this awesome plastic indicator thing that turns from red to black from the outside in as the temperature increases...
It sits in the water with your eggs while they boil. And it works really well!


...But you still have to remember to check on it while your water boils...


When you struggle with ADD, like I do, you know how unreliable that can be... I walk out of the room, then remember 20 MINUTES LATER that I was cooking something!! Oops!!


#thestruggleisreal


So, I ran across directions for baked eggs...
Let me tell you.
 My life has never been the same!


This is what I do.




Step one: Gather the eggs from the chicken coop where the hens are happily laying practically every day! I store mine on the counter. You can do that with farm-fresh eggs. The chickens put "a natural bloom" on the eggs when they lay that seals and protects them. This makes it easier to tell which ones are cooked, too, since the cooked ones will go in the fridge! Besides, it's just nice to look at them, sometimes!




Step two: Preheat the oven to 320 degrees.

I know, it seems kind of random...

Step three: On baking day, wash your eggs! So, there is always some sand or dirt or..... other stuff..... on the eggs. They have not been washed prior to this because we want to leave the protective bloom on them. However, we are now going to cook them. I always clean my eggs just before cooking. If you wash your eggs as soon as you gather them, it would be prudent to store them in the fridge until you use them. Something about the porous nature of the eggshell after you remove the bloom.


Step four: Place eggs in a muffin pan. I love my mini-muffin pan (from The Pampered Chef, of course) because I can bake a full 2-dozen eggs at once!


You can use a regular sized muffin pan, but I just really love this one!
It's so beautiful!

Step five: Place the pan in the oven and set a timer for 30 minutes. Walk away without worrying that you will forget you are cooking something because YOU SET A TIMER!! Yay!

What would I do without timers?

Step six: (optional) For even easier to peel eggs, as soon as they come out of the oven, drop them into a bowl of ice water. Once they have cooled enough to handle, store in the fridge.


Was there ever a more convenient on-the-go snack?

A complete protein serving is 2 eggs.

Not up for eating your eggs alone?
Just slice them up and add them to your salad!
Which reminds me...  I have an amazing recipe for Spinach Salad that I need to share...
Stay tuned!









Let's keep in touch!

* indicates required


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for exclusive content!