Thursday, May 19, 2016

Getting Naked - The ingredients to a perfect storm



While talking with some friends, I finally put into words why I wasn't as "put together" or "owning it" the way that they thought I was.  The way things look from outside can be quite deceiving.
The following is what I composed (and later elaborated a little) to try to fully explain the extent of the craziness in my brain that no one else can see.




My anxiety has been through the roof, lately.  Along with a few other things...
Here's the domino effect that I see in action in my life:


1) ADD makes everything just a little harder. Every failure feels personal, even if it isn't. Self doubt gets planted by the mind spin of negative self talk. (I'm pretty sure I made up that term "mind spin").


Feels like there are ALWAYS too many tabs open in my mental browser...

2) Negative self talk and self doubt lead to more self esteem issues and open the door to depression - making everything THAT MUCH HARDER and using MORE ENERGY for EVERY FREAKING TASK!
(Have you heard of the spoon theory?)

3) Things get forgotten or there just isn't enough time. This triggers anxiety over:
- the stuff not done
- the stuff forgotten
- the stuff that obviously will never get done
- planning, double and triple booking yourself, figuring out what to cancel, calling people and actually canceling....
- being tired
- what other people think of you for flaking out
- what other people think of you for being so unproductive
- what other people think of you for forgetting to call them back
- when people get frustrated with you for interrupting
- the disheveled state of your living space
- the disheveled state of your work space
- what you might be forgetting RIGHT NOW
- all that other stuff that hasn't even come through my mind yet...

anxiety winds around tighter and tighter...

4) Exacerbated chronic pain from the emotional stress of the other 3 states.
I have 2 bulged discs that flare up in the cold.  Or when I sit for too long.  Or when I've twisted wrong.  Or, apparently, when emotions are spiraling and feeding into my insecurities...


You never know when the nerve pain is going to rear it's ugly head...
5) Each of the previous 4 conditions sucks more energy alone than a normal person would need to do any given task. As they stack and combine, it takes a monumental effort just to get out of bed, let alone get through the day, so even if you sleep for 8 or 9 hours, you'll never feel rested because it takes 12 hours of solid rem sleep cycles to recover all the energy used the previous day just to function at a basic level....

How can I possibly get out of this spiraling mess??

And that's all BEFORE any major life stressors!!
(Like the truck breaking... 3 times in 2 months... The house breaking...  First the kitchen faucet, now the dishwasher... Medical bills... Taxes....)


When you're stuck inside of this perfect storm, it feels like you're never going to be able to get out.  It all just spins together into a vortex of chaos, emotion, and hopelessness.
If you are stuck in this "swirling vortex of terror", I need you to know that you are not alone.


Let me repeat that.


YOU ARE NOT ALONE.


I'm sharing my journey with the world.  If it helps even ONE person find a small moment of peace, it is all worth it.




5 comments:

  1. I so understand this cycle of life! Yet with the journey i have embarked on just a few short months ago, im truly trying to chang this with a healthier lifestyle. Its so hard to keep myself going forward, when i feel like just laying in bed for hours! I see changes in my life, and feel better than i have in years, yet, i struggle forcing myself to work-out. Its nice to know im not alone in the struggle! Ty for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes my heart sing to hear you identify with the struggle and are striving to succeed in spite of it!
      When I first was finally able to put it into words, I just knew the world needed to have access to it so that we can all see and affirm, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that we are not alone!! <3

      Delete
  2. I so understand this cycle of life! Yet with the journey i have embarked on just a few short months ago, im truly trying to chang this with a healthier lifestyle. Its so hard to keep myself going forward, when i feel like just laying in bed for hours! I see changes in my life, and feel better than i have in years, yet, i struggle forcing myself to work-out. Its nice to know im not alone in the struggle! Ty for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in tears... I was, in elementary school, labeled as "bad, talkative, disruptive, restless..." the list goes on and on. The lack of child development skills my teachers and mother exhibited lead me to become a crusader for all the kids I would ever come in contact with so that they, unlike me, would feel loved and accepted for exactly who they were. As I'm nearing the end of my child rearing years I can see clearly now how I learned to manage my symptoms of ADD and cope with them even though I was never formally diagnosed and I now know in my heart that I made life a little bit better for all of the daycare kids who came and went, the gaggle of awkward preteens who filled my basement on Friday nights and of course all the Barn Girls I've loved like my own who felt a little misunderstood. I still struggle today but I finally know that no job I ever have from here on out will compare to the good I was able to do by just being me, the girl with ADD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, crap - now I'm crying, too!
      Bless you!!
      It took so long for me to notice how different I was. I couldn't understand why I didn't fit in. I didn't understand why I would strive for excellence and fall short. And when I started understanding, I couldn't change much...

      But, I've been learning about ADD/ADHD/whatever-we-are-calling-it-today since I was in high school. I started identifying why certain things got missed and began to develop habits that helped...
      It will never be a perfect system, but I continue to learn what works for *me*, and just once in a while, I stumble upon something that will help someone else, too!
      I'm thrilled to join your crusade!!

      Delete

Sign up for exclusive content!