Thursday, March 31, 2016

Spaghetti (Squash) and Parmesan Asparagus

Can you tell the difference?
I'm not going to lie to you and tell you they are exactly like pasta.  However, the texture and size is pretty darn close. At my house, we've compared and determined that we actually do like squash better than pasta!








If you've never made spaghetti squash, the entire idea can be *REALLY* intimidating.
So, I want to walk you through a gentle introduction to Spaghetti Squash.






First, pick out and purchase a Spaghetti Squash.














Look for a firm gourd.  Start with a small-ish one (that would be about 6" diameter, maybe 10" long)


They come in all sizes, but the smaller they are, the finer your "pasta" will be.





Cut off the stem end of your squash.









Slice the squash in half long ways.









Scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff.  This is very much like cleaning a pumpkin.




Puking Spaghetti Squash??


Spray the raw edges with oil (olive oil, coconut oil, Pam, whatever you use), and lay cut side down on your baking sheet.

I line mine with foil for easy clean up.










Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until you can poke a fork through the skin, but it doesn't tear easily...



While that's baking, prepare your spaghetti sauce and asparagus.



But, don't start too soon!  You can even wait until you've pulled the squash out of the oven and let it cool while you cook the asparagus!




When cooling my squash, I flip it cut-side-up to let as much of the steam escape as possible.



I prefer skinny, tender sprigs of asparagus.  The fatter the stalk, the more fibrous it tends to be, and the more bitter it may taste.  I used to hate asparagus, but I've grown to really love it as my go-to vegetable side!




We like Bertolli spaghetti sauces, but you can make your own, if you prefer!  I don't have a favorite recipe - yet!!




For the Asparagus:

I use the Pampered Chef Large Micro-Cooker.  I cut the bottoms off so that they fit nicely inside, then add about 1/4" of water in the bottom.  Clip the lid on and steam in the microwave on high for 5 minutes.

Look!  Fat grass!!


Once steamed, immediately drain the water, then sprinkle the asparagus with a little garlic salt and grate Parmesan cheese over the top.  Put the lid back over it to help the cheese melt.  This can just sit on the counter until you're ready to serve.




While the cheese melts, use a fork to scrape out the inside of your squash into a bowl, colander, or directly to your serving dish!


Yes, it really does look like noodles!




noodles!

Spoon sauce over the "noodles", serve up a side of asparagus, and enjoy!




For weekly food prep, I'll store my single servings in a pint-size mason jar.  I layer beef on the bottom, spoon sauce over the beef, then top to the bring with squash "noodles".  To eat, I dump the whole mess into a bowl and heat in the microwave!  Yum!!











Let's keep in touch!

* indicates required


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for exclusive content!