Thursday, May 21, 2015

A History of Challenge - Part 3

This is the final installment of my back story that began with A History of Challenge - Part 1 and continued in A History of Challenge - Part 2.


While finishing college, I worked as a math tutor.  Me!  The algebra challenged person who couldn’t pass the class in high school!
I know all the mistakes, so I’m good at helping reroute the logic behind common mistakes.  I helped quite a few fellow students pass their math classes!!
 
My confidence soared with my continued academic success.  In 2008, I started looking for internships.  I had a few interviews, but nothing panned out for me.
I continued searching.
I continued to turn up nothing.

I sat for my FE Exam (that would be Fundamentals of Engineering), and 6-8 weeks later, I discovered I had passed!  Whew!
It was an 8 hour exam, and I didn’t want to repeat that experience!!
Graduation day came, and my parents were beaming as I walked for my bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
 
I started casting about for engineering jobs, but there was just nothing out there for me.  It was 2010, and the job market had not recovered from devastation.  I was working at Goodwill for $8.75 an hour.

In desperation, I applied for an opening with the Social Security Administration.  A few weeks later, I was signed up to take an aptitude test.  A few months after that, I was invited for an interview! Four months after my initial application, I was offered a full time government job, and I took it!
This was not an engineering job.
However, I had solid, reliable, full-time employment!  I would be able to pay my bills, now!
Stable employment is allowing me to pursue my passions.
Horseback riding.
Competing.
Inspiring the people around me.
And, now, sharing fitness and health with YOU!

Let's keep in touch!

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for exclusive content!