Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A History of Challenge - Part 1


I’m no stranger to challenge.  I feel as if I have hit many obstacles on my road through life.  The first of which proved to be school, in general.
I struggled to pay attention in class, and I had no ambition to do homework.  It felt like senseless repetition, to me.  I failed basic algebra several times…  I couldn’t make it through history class in the first try, either.  I don’t do well memorizing names and dates.  It just didn’t connect with me…
It took me 5 ½ years to complete 4 years of high school, but I graduated!

I felt like I wasn’t capable of succeeding at college at the time, so I joined the US Army!
My journey as a soldier involved quite a bit of self-discovery.  My military experience sometimes feels like a completely separate world…
I finally came to the realization that I really did need a college degree if I wanted something more than a minimum wage job.  I applied to the local community college and started on a path to self-improvement in spite of my complete fear of Algebra.

Allow me to expand on my fear of Algebra.
I was discussing the prospect of college with a close friend.  I was telling her what my concerns were about college, and when I got to Algebra, I burst into tears!
We weren’t even talking about me signing up – we were just talking about what ifs!!
And here I was, bawling on her couch before I was even enrolled in an Algebra class!!!

When I finally got started in college, I knew that math would be a struggle, so I made it a point to set myself up with a study group and take advantage of ALL of my resources.  I was completing general education courses to get an Associate of Arts degree and transfer into a Physical Therapy program.  I got an A in my Intro to Algebra class.  I tutored my friend during Intermediate Algebra! Then, I faced a choice:
College Algebra followed by Trigonometry
Or
Precalculus

 Many of the friends I had been studying with were taking the Precalculus class.  If I took this class with them, I would have the same support group, and I would only have 1 more semester of math… So, I commited!

That same semester, I was taking Physics…
My life was about to take a dramatic turn…

Continued in:
A History of Challenge - Part 2
and
A History of Challenge - Part 3

Let's keep in touch!

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for exclusive content!