Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A History of Challenge - Part 2


This is a continuation of my story that began with A History of Challenge - Part 1 .

 
With some very intense help from my friends, my mind was warped and I fumbled my way through Precalculus that semester.  I grasped at unit circles and right triangles and repeating patterns.  My life became consumed.
Similarly, I struggled through my physics class.  I was preparing for a transfer into a Physical Therapy program after acquiring my Associate’s degree.  The last hurdle was this Physics class…
I failed my first physics test with a 40-something percent.  Can I fully express my devastation?

I spent hours on my physics homework.  I was in the professor’s office on a daily basis asking questions.  I cried over my textbook.  I snuggled my cat…
I barely passed my next test.  There was more crying involved.  Crying was a daily occurrence.

It turned out that I had to completely rewire my brain, and I had to do it fast!!  I was developing a whole new set of problem solving strategies.  On top of that, I was delving into scientific concepts I had only scratched the surface on previously.  I didn’t truly understand the material until weeks after we had tested on it.

During my second semester of physics, I was in my professor’s office again, and this time I was reading an article on his wall about researching in the field of physics.  He said to me, “So, are you going to get a physics degree?”
No, I’m really more interested in doing things outside rather than working in a lab.
“Oh, so you want to be an engineer!”
Oh, no. Engineering is for math people!
“Well, you’re math people, aren’t you?”

I had not, up to this point, considered myself a math person.  That comment stopped me in my tracks.  It nagged at me.  So, I started researching engineering degrees.  Next time, I would be able to explain why I wasn’t interested in engineering.

However, that plan backfired!!  I was fascinated!  I really wanted to learn about that stuff!

I made an agonizing decision to shift my coursework focus and extend my expected graduation date.  I decided to get a degree in Civil Engineering!

This professor made it a point to be available to help me with my calculus, as well as the physics, even after I had left his class.

And you know what?  I got A’s in both semesters of his class!  I really did get it!  I was math people!


Continued in A History of Challenge - Part 3

Let's keep in touch!

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for exclusive content!