Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Injured or Over With?

It started so subtly...
Push-ups felt just a little better if I dropped to my knees...
Side plank felt a little less steady...
I must be having an off day...
.
That right shoulder gets a little achy once in a while, so I hardly notice it anymore.
Then, suddenly, I realized: it actually HURT to do side plank!
This wasn't core strength - this was shoulder stability!
.
I was at the doctor for something else, but I decided to ask about my shoulder.
X-rays happened.
And massive amounts NSAIDS for 3 weeks....

No improvement.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it's getting worse.
I'm headed back to the doctor for a follow up.  I've been babying the shoulder per Doc's orders.
I'm grumpy because my workouts have become so limited...


However, that does not mean there are NO workouts!  There is still plenty I can do!
I ride my bike.  It's a stationary recumbent think, so it doesn't stress my shoulder, but it makes me breath heavy and sweat and feel like I've gone out and accomplished something!
I can walk! (I've been saving the walking for nice days with my husband.  They're more fun that way...)


I'm still riding my horse!  If I find my shoulder doing weird things, I just put both reins in my left hand and keep on going!  To play it safe, I haven't been jumping...


In the meantime, I'm working closely with my doctor.


I've had an MRI to see what exactly the problem is...
The images showed no tears.  The muscles all looked good.  Basically, everything looked normal except a small amount of swelling in the bursa.
So, we've done a steroid injection to reduce the inflammation.  In about a week, I should be able to get back to my more typical workout program.


The frustration of an injury is inevitable, but it doesn't have to be the end of your lifestyle!
I recommend working closely with your own physician when dealing with an injury.  Be clear with them about your short and long term goals.


My doctor suggested surgery might be a consideration if the MRI showed a tear.  We talked about physical therapy, as well.  I explained to him that I couldn't do my workouts with my shoulder like this.  We talked about possible modifications (which didn't make any difference).
I explained my priorities:
 - Fixing any underlying problem to prevent future setbacks
 - getting back to horseback riding by the time competition season starts (if possible)
 - getting back into my workout groove without this pain


Updates will be forthcoming, I'm sure.
I'll be starting back up with low-impact PiYo and building back my upper body strength and shoulder stability.  P90X2 has been calling to me for a while now...
Are you ready to join me?



Let's keep in touch!

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for exclusive content!