Thursday, July 9, 2015

Working Out Around Injuries


I have the stupidest injury.

In fact, in the last 2 weeks, I’ve had 2 of the stupidest injuries…

 

I’ll let you in on a little secret…

Today is the first day in 11 days that I’ve worn real shoes…
...not my shoes...

Yup, I’ve been wearing flip-flops for the past 10 days.

 

After a day of practicing over cross-country jumps, I finished my horse chores in my tall boots.
I live to do this stuff!

My tall boots are nice and soft and flexible at the ankle, but they have a zipper that runs up the back.  As the ankle has softened, the zipper has, too.  Now, it rubs the back of my ankle on one foot.

I learned a dear lesson…  Change out of these boots as soon as I’m done riding!

All that walking around rubbed the WORST blisters on my ankle, and before I even knew they were there, they had bubbled up and burst.
Lesson learned!!

 

Then, today, I woke up with the strangest soreness in my chest…  It feels like a pulled muscle, but it’s such a small area…

Yup.  I pulled a tiny muscle right in the middle of my chest.  How does that even happen?

(I’m pretty sure I just got a little enthusiastic while doing a windmill stretch…)

 

So, what do I do about my workouts when I’m injured?

 

Well, since my daily workouts are with a video in my home, I decided I was just going to do them barefoot.  This is not my general recommendation!

I decided that, because of my dance background, I have strong feet that don’t rely on my shoes for all of their support.  I paid close attention to what I was doing and made sure I wasn’t straining anything in my feet while I was working out. It’s  been working out pretty well for me!

And my landing are so much softer when I have to jump…

Go figure.

 

So, this little muscle in my chest?  It runs from my sternum to one of my ribs.  It’s a tiny little thing.  It only hurts if I move just wrong.  (as in, when I engage said muscle)

So, while it’s healing, I’ll make sure to use a little bit lighter weights for upper body work.  I’ll only do push-ups and planks if it doesn’t hurt.  I’ll let my body be my guide and I’ll just focus on lower body, core,  and cardio for a few days while it sorts itself out.

 

I know my body, so I can make these calls confidently.

If you are working out around an injury, always consult with your doctor first!

 

Remember, I’m always working out around an injury, and I will be for the rest of my life.

Bulged discs never completely heal and are always at risk for re-injury.

I’ve learned that it’s very easy to overdo it when I do too much plyometric work or if I push too hard in certain exercises.  I’ve learned to modify the things that will hurt later in a way to still work the muscle group but to take the strain off of my back.  I don’t jump with weights.  Instead, I’ll step.

Some days I can’t squat as low enough to touch the floor.  That’s ok.  I squat as low as I can without sacrificing good form.  Sometimes, I’m just too tight, stiff, or sore in my back to do any of my usual routines, so I hop on my recumbent bike, instead.

 

I buy into the statement “There is no bad fitness”.

However, I do believe that there can be *unbalanced* fitness.

That’s one of the reasons I use the home fitness programs that I do.  The guesswork is taken out.  The balance has already been done for me.  Strength, flexibility, cardio, core stability…  It’s all built in, and all I have to do is follow the program and push play every day.

 

And when something comes up…
I just modify to work around it!

Let's keep in touch!

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for exclusive content!