Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Turning Point


I have 2 bulged discs in my lumbar spine.  I refuse to let that limit me.  I refuse to be defined by my injuries.  However, they still contribute to the shape of my life.

I had 2 severe flare-ups of nerve pain in 2014.  I was in so much pain that my entire life was limited.  I felt like I was in a prison.  I didn’t have control of my body.  My activity was highly limited.  I couldn’t sit through a day of work.  I was medicated.  I had several injections.  I was referred to a surgeon for evaluation (who determined I was not a candidate for surgery).  Back to physical therapy I went.
My range of motion increased.  I gained tools for immediate pain management that required no drugs!  I started gaining control again, but it wasn’t quite enough.

 Cold weather could increase my pain, and wet weather kept me away from the barn.  Finally, I determined that something had to change.  I vowed to work on my own fitness on nights that I couldn’t ride.  If all I could to was stretch, so be it.  If I was capable of more, I would start with time on the bike.  Not only did I begin to feel a little more in control, I stopped the slow but steady upward climb of my weight.  I had lost so much muscle tone and strength over the previous year, and to be honest, I had begun to feel pretty helpless.
Back in action!

I stumbled onto an accountability group and decided to join in!  I figured the worst that could happen was that I had to stop participating.
Participation meant checking in each day with a selfie after completing the workout.
The group started out very simple, and I was pleasantly surprised to find myself capable of the workouts.  The number of reps began to climb, and I would get concerned…  I would start anyway.  I reminded myself that I could always go in sets.  Next thing I knew, I was meeting and exceeding the listed number of reps!
I still had pain, but not when I was working out.  For the first time in a year and a half, I was having more good days than bad days!

Six weeks later, I joined my first full-fledged Fitness and Nutrition Challenge Group.
This group was more intense.  The program was more thorough.  And I was finally getting stronger!

I completed a full 60-day challenge and I was on fire!  I was feeling so amazing and functional, I couldn't old it in!  I needed to share this with the world!

So, here I am!!

Can't miss me!
 
 

Let's keep in touch!

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for exclusive content!